CG Graphics = Art + Science ?

General Topic
討論一般的題目 // 如屬於其他版面的題目請勿在此版發表 !!

文章Gunsmith » 28日 2月 2002年, 17:06

Do you agree that a good CG artist have to be excel in both artist sense and software technique ?
Gunsmith
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 70
註冊時間: 21日 2月 2002年, 08:00
來自: Hong Kong

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

文章lph » 28日 2月 2002年, 17:23

95% agree.
頭像
lph
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 20
註冊時間: 11日 2月 2002年, 08:00
來自: H.K.

文章tdk » 28日 2月 2002年, 20:59

在 2002-02-28 17:06, Gunsmith 寫了:
Do you agree that a good CG artist have to be excel in both artist sense and software technique ?

70% agree.

example:

1. Peter is a MASTER of a specific software (mean he know everything about the software, he know what every single feature and command), but he do not have artistic sense. His output would be ...hmm.. I would say not good. He is just an good operator.

2. David is a Great Artist, but he only know the basic use of his software and if he don't know how to do something in his software, he will find workaround and he might take a bit longer to finish his work, but the output should reflect his art sense. In othe words, David's works is better than Peter.

Finally, Steven have great artistic sense and very good understanding of his software, he can produce very good result with pretty good efficency.

So, Steven can produce the same good result as David but faster or give them the same amount of time, Steven will produce a bit better works than David, but both Steven and David are better than Peter.

This is my opinion.
tdk
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章: 373
註冊時間: 16日 11月 2001年, 08:00

文章mayaBug » 28日 2月 2002年, 21:41

CG Graphics = Art + Science ?
I agree

老實說 , CG行業系個Team work , 如果你有Art sense , 公司會apply 你做 build Model ,animation , shading texture 等的工作(In production pipeline) , 如果你Technical方面好強 , 自然便會做Progamming的工作 如 writing Script , shader ,Character setup , technical support ..etc
即使 兩樣(Art & Technical)也懂, 但也不能一人分身兩個部門吧 !

致於software technique , 我認為只是時間的問題 , 一個用慣 softimage的animator 要改用Maya當然會不習慣 , 但其animation sense系唔會冇左既 ..
只要Keep住工作 , software 自然會控制自如...
mayaBug
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章: 135
註冊時間: 2日 8月 2001年, 08:00

文章jly625 » 28日 2月 2002年, 22:08

agree
jly625
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 55

文章lph » 28日 2月 2002年, 22:51

yes...so depend on people how to explain CG (Artist).
頭像
lph
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 20
註冊時間: 11日 2月 2002年, 08:00
來自: H.K.

文章Bigeye » 1日 3月 2002年, 09:14

Truely, I agree ! If you know that how to create the software of computer graphic. You would know it needs "Art + science".
Actually, it is so hard to be a excellence "Art & Sciecne" CG Artist. You need to spend much more time to study. Gunsmith, which way you would like to choose? In my mind, I prefer to do the best that I can. Science is my weakness point. I try to study it. Could anyone suggest how to improve the scientific sence? | _ | !
Bigeye
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 50
註冊時間: 27日 2月 2002年, 08:00
來自: HongKong

文章Gunsmith » 1日 3月 2002年, 09:54

Big Eye , I agree with Mayabug that the best CG is done team of artists who have artist sense and other have software technique . But nothing is natural born to be superior . For example, a guy have little sense on art when he start learning 3D software. No good work can be done . As time go by , when he can handle softwares . He know more about what he can do and how it be done with CG software . Then all he have to do is take some drawing course and pratice , practice and practice . I would say it is not a bad idea to copy other good artist work for practicing and this is what I am doing. Don't be disapointed if you are strong in only art or science ( at least one is better than zero ) . Try to find some partner who has strong point at another side . I believe that both of you will grow up and stengthen your weakness .
Gunsmith
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 70

文章Wolf » 1日 3月 2002年, 10:14

To be an excellent CG artist who can choose work anywhere in the world, you MUST excel in both art and analytical thinking (not software operation, even seasoned professionals frequently misunderstand this issue). The neglect of the science part of the trade has brought HK's CG industry to a plateau of development that it cannot cross for many years now. So many animators assume that programming and scripting is time-consuming and cannot fit into HK's hectic production schedules, without ever trying to do it. I have worked many years in this field, and in many countries (including some stints in HK). Because of my programming knowledge, I can always grab jobs that no other production house in town can do (not because of cost; because of lack of technique) - it's a great feeling, to walk into a scene of no-competition. And I can tell you, if you are really proficient in art programming, it takes much shorter time to do a better quality work than if you use only manual methods. Just last week, I saw a freelance job posted over the net asking for a scene with thousands of soldiers clashing in battle (can anyone do it ALONE within a production schedule of three weeks? ); and before that I saw a job asking for a human head made of a ribbon bandage that unwraps while the head changes from a man to a woman to a child, all the while talking! Can anyone in town do this within a production schedule of four weeks? There's so much examples like these every month - and you know how many lucrative jobs slip through companies' fingers because animators don't have the necessary know-how to do them? BTW those two examples I cited above CAN be done, but don't even try without programming some little utility tools to help you.
Wolf
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章: 260
註冊時間: 26日 2月 2002年, 08:00

回到 C G 討論版

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 3 位訪客